View Single Post
# 1 02-03-2011 , 01:49 AM

Maya skateboard rig questions

sup folks. I'm working on a freelance project that involves lots of animation, and I'm making a mini skateboard rig for the character. This is my first time rigging anything in Maya and I keep stumbling on lots of things.

The skateboard is basically simple geometry with the rotation of the wheels driven by an expression. when you move the skateboard geo, the wheels rotate. I am having trouble making the rig a bit more sophisticated, however.

When I make a control curve for the whole skateboard, the skateboard geo reappears in another location after I parent the geo to the curve and when I move the curve. Freezing transforms only gives me a message saying the skateboard object is a child of the world. What should I be doing to ensure once I make the control curve, the geo stays put?

Also, when I place the character on the skateboard, should I parent the global character rig control to the skateboard rig control or is there a better way?

I want to separate the trucks of the skateboard and make it so they squash and stretch as the skateboard deck banks on the x axis. I can separate the trucks with a script but am not sure how to go about rigging a bank for the board. This isn't as important as my first question, though, and I'm sure I'll figure it out.