View Single Post
# 12 12-03-2010 , 05:45 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by daverave
I still think its better to create your base mesh in maya, lightwave and so as you have more control.........dave

You don't really get that much more control. When your modeling in Maya, LW, Max, etc. From step one your mostly in a technical mind set. You have to lay down your basic forms, and a lot the time you're spent making sure all of your edges flow right, and that your proportions are spot on. And these sorts of edits take time. And I've found that even if I have a base mesh fully modeled in Maya, when I get it into ZB, I always end up changing it... pushing and pulling the forms, and generally cleaning up the shapes. Just because it's so easy... it lets your artistic side take over.

I still model in Maya, and there are advantages to creating your base meshes there, such as having your edge-loops in place from step one, having resolution where you need it, etc. Especially if you're following a concept.

Originally posted by gster123
You know, I feel really silly now.

I was expecting the Z sphere model to be really complex, god knows why!

Haha

I remember when I first looked at Z spheres in version 2 and thought they were great, but went down the maya route for base mesh creation as I felt like I was cheating.

Nah, a lot of the time there's no real need for your ZSpheres to be too complex. Especially when you're just winging it.. too much detail would just get in the way. Of course if you have a clear design you're aiming for, then yeah, ZSphere your heart out.

hehe, I used to feel it was cheating too. But then again, early on, I thought that modeling heads via the "edge extrusion" method was cheating too... as it seemed most modelers were doing it the Box modeling way. At first I couldn't get to grips with box modeling, but the edge extrusion method seemed easy to me... so, naturally, I figured I had to have been cheating. But, In the end it's what the final product looks like. It doesn't really matter how you got there.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 12-03-2010 at 05:48 PM.