View Single Post
# 115 03-02-2015 , 01:12 AM
Well as far as modeling goes yes - Maya is predominantly a poly modeler. Even it's poly tool set is kind of long in the tooth but Autodesk has brought in some new features from their 3DS Max team. Maya is very customizable and has a powerful API. Studio's with deep pockets or creative folks that know how to program can bend Maya to their needs through programming. It is also more then just a modeler and has a powerful animation tool set.

I am not sure any of the traditional modelers Maya, 3DS Max, Softimage, etc are really in step with the current trend in modeling which seems to be make a base mesh in poly's in whatever traditional modeler you like and then send it to zbrush sub divide it into a gazillion polygons and then learn to be a sculptor.

Pushing and pulling verts to match orthogonal drawings seems to be a dieing art. I for one am sad as I come from a CAD background and touchy feely sculpting is not my bag of tea.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675