View Single Post
# 3 08-05-2007 , 08:14 AM
Subscriber
Thanks buddy, much appreciated and it will come in handy. This is unknown space.

ok what I've done is played a little more with the model, but no point in showing the minor modifications here. I have to chart my course too as time is precious. Let's focus on what's important. UV'ing and texturing and finish something.

1. I've separated the head, hair, hat, and details (glasses, props) into separate display layers. This was a good idea.

2. I've cut the head in half down the centerline which is also a good idea.

3. I attack the UVing of the head with an automatic map, followed by an Unfold UV's. A not so good idea.

This is the starting point, which is to my untrained eye looks OK, but it's clear that alot of manual moving and sewing and repositioning cv's and it shows another potential problem for painting it. Things aren't very straight or logical. The nose section is almost in a 45 degree diagonal. It'll be very hard to paint with any precission.

I'll restart and try a z-axis planar map for the front of the face. I'm not sure how to attack the side or back of the head yet, but that's part of the exploration fun.

I have a question on scale for the projections as well. Is this important at the initial stage for a game model as opposed to say an architectural piece where scale would be extremely important. Would any part of the layout be dominant over the other? Given I stay within 0-1 space and use as much of it as possible.

Attached Thumbnails

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 08-05-2007 at 08:21 AM.