View Single Post
# 2 12-03-2005 , 10:43 PM
Subscriber
I downloaded the basic three point lighting tut, and I thought that this tutorial was great, thanks to Mike user added image . Though I have a couple of questions.

1. I see that Mike uses 3 directional lights, 1 for the main source, 1 for the fill light, and 1 for the back lighting. I tried doing this with a square kitchen light and I guess because I have so many objects such as the oven and cabinets it was really hard to make anything half decent.

Yeah ok, if any of you read my post in the WIP forum about lighting a room it might appear from each update I was gettign the hang of it. Though in reality, it seem a little easier with a a basic lamp fixture then those square ceiling light fixtures that are most commonly used in kitchens. In addition, what really threw me off in the previous thread in the WIP forum area, I forget who it was but they had mentioned it would be best to have your decay rate set to "quadratic" with a higher intensit number on main light source and use very low intensity lights for filling in the darker areas of the room. It seemed in my opinion that it was all fine and dandy when I was lighting a simple room. Though I am really having a rough time lighting my kitchen.

So I guess what I am asking is if you could give me some pointers on how I can light the fixture in the picture down below? (note I made the lighting to a higher intensity ONLY so that you guys can see all my objects.)

2. My next question in this post is that in the tutorial, meaning same one from above, I see that Mike also shows using the env sky light. Though Mike had mention that this is a plug-in that you can download. So my questions is, I am not sure why he states you need to download this plug-in when it is already included in Maya or is he talking about another type of sky light?

3. And the last question in this post is, what would the 3D room enviroment node be used for and which connection of a lambert should I connect the 3D Room enviroment onto. Meaning should I connect it to Color, incandenance, ambient etc?

Attached Thumbnails