View Single Post
# 17 25-02-2007 , 06:54 PM
Hi all,

Just a word from Kuweekee again... i know... i've been absent...... but the reason for that was windows vista.

A friend of mine and me both installed Vista. I installed the 32 bit ultimate edition, and the friend installed the 64 bit ultimate edition.

My computer booted up after install, and the only thing that i needed to install was my mouse driver ( and with the lack of vista drivers i installed it under xp compatible mode, so no problems there) and my audio driver.

My friend however installed his computer, same missing drivers as me, so he installed his sound driver, and he got his first Blue screen of death (hereafter BSOD). he de-installed the driver, and once again he got a BSOD. he de-installed his video driver, since he downloaded the one from nvidia, instead of using the windows driver. he still gets BSOD's when playing games.

To make a long story short, since it took almost a week before we solved it......

His computer was on an automatic 5% overclocked mode, he set it back to no overclocking, and it works like a charm.

So a tip when changing to vista.... don't overclock your system when u're running 64 bit version of vista.

And about loss of performance. i installed maya, and a couple of games where i can see the fps. and i went down from 89 fps to about 74 fps, so it does use more resources. but then again, like nvidia website says : They had 3 years to perfect the drivers for xp, and they only had 2 month to do it for the vista drivers.

Final conclusion :

If u don't mind running 10 fps slower, and have a mean machine... and checked the internet if all drivers are available for windows vista, then i would advise to switch.

if u have less than 2 gig of RAM, don't get the ultimate edition.... since it almost takes up 500 mb of ram just to run Airo.

Greets,

Kuweekee

01001011011101010111011101100101011001010110101101 10010101100101