View Single Post
# 3 12-11-2012 , 06:02 PM

Well first off congratulations on a very good position to be in. If I can offer one piece of advice, don't worry too much about your timeline, since you seem to have lots of time anyway. Set yourself small goals and see if you can hit them. I wouldn't be surprised if you could put out a nice 30s - 1min short film at the end of a year. Don't aim for a 10+ minute project right away, you'll just get frustrated. What do you want out of this? Is it just for "hobbying"? If so, again, don't worry about where you are at, and just enjoy the process. If you want to get into the industry, well that will probably take several years unless you are really dedicated and fortunate. Good luck! We'll be here to answer questions and help out.

If you've got the money, get a lifetime membership here, it doesn't expire. And DT is great too IMO.

I'd love to get into the industry, which is ofc the end goal. However the road to that goal might not be what you expect. I earn a good bit off YouTube via gaming (just been doing in my spare time for shits and giggles), and I myself just hit 15k subs there, and got several close friends with more then 100k subs. My intermediate goal would be to learn and have fun with Maya, and use some of my projects, as material for the channel. Considering gamers, which is my demographic, are intrigued by animation, special effects, and so on, and the network of friends I got on there, I should be able to get a little something for my trouble there while learning.

That's basically how I come to the spot I'm in at the moment. Leverage my passed online work, in order to gain more success in the next one.