View Single Post
# 1 22-12-2004 , 11:07 AM

Can anyone recommend the best book......

on learning about Maya. I am currently learning Maya using the New Riders Maya Fundamentals book, which is quite good as it you can follow modelling projects step by step.

I've managed to model some fairly complex objects, more through luck and chance than anything.

I'm almost half way through the book and I still don't think that I've grasped how to navigate my way around the scene.

My main difficulty is in moving /transforming/rotating objects in relation to other objects.

I am a CAD user and so I am used to having the option to rotate a line/object by selecting 2 or 3 points, rather than typing in an angle....so I am used to selecting an object, selecting a reference point (origin), then selecting the point at which I want to rotate it to.

Snapping objects to objects is a nightmare. I can only select a CV snap to move one object against another. There are no options to snap to a middle point, end point, centre point (of an object), intersection point..........am I missing something?

I still haven't grasped how to draw simple lines that I can then join up to make a continuous line.

Everything seems to have to be a curve of some sort.

Is there a book that will cover these simple questions?? I'm learning from Maya 6 at the moment, so if anyone could suggest a book I'd be grateful.