View Single Post
# 8 29-12-2009 , 04:06 PM
Coldwave - Navigation is the number one thing I hear from Maya people I have corresponded with about switching from Maya to Modo. There is an option to turn on Maya type navigation that helps a little in the preferences there are presets for several popular packages. That is one of the things I hate about the thought of switching. Even in Maya I sometimes get finger twisted and I know the navigation and GUI blind folded. When I have tried any other packages - ALL GREAT - in their own ways like 3DS, XSI, Modo I feel like rain man

My observation, which sometimes leads to "other package envy" is that every once and a while I will see some uber tools that I have wished were in Maya and go wanting to switch. Then I fiddle around and find although maya has a smaller subset of tools, I can always achieve the same results once I think about it for a bit. Maya's tool set seems smaller then a lot of newer packages, but the tools it has work really well.

One last thing about lots of tools. If you get to many very specialized tools in an application (Bloat), it then becomes hard to remember they exist or even how and when to use them.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675