View Single Post
# 85 28-12-2008 , 04:23 PM
Moving on to texture painting but I have a uv question.

I notice that you layed all your uv's for the engine body out so they were all vertical and horizontal.

Well I spent HOURS trying to manually do that with mine and I am so frustrated.

First you can't grab a group of uv's and say - make them all horizontal AND try to keep relative spacing. So for areas with tight corners I have to zoom way in and try to pick each uv one by one, then try to straighten one line and then repeat (a lot!).

Then when you have them all straight vertically and horizontally after HOURS of picking individual uv's for each line, the uv's look horrible! They end up all diamond shaped and warped.

I cannot apply the uv unwrap command to the uv's once manually straightened or (BOOM!) I am back to the curved mesh again.

As you can see the main body of my model is curved and no mater what I do I cannot get the uv's to lay out vertically and horizontally!

My uv grid looks good on the engine although they do not run perfectly horizontally and vertically on the entire engine. They run at an angle on the very front and back, but they are all square and undistorted.

For this mesh its not going to present a major problem because I am assuming that I will only be dropping a texture (rusty metal) on the entire area, but if I ever wanted to actually paint in photoshop along those curved edges it seems it would be a pain!

What am I doing wrong!

UV's still seem to be getting the best of me, but I will tame them!

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 08-01-2009 at 05:45 AM.