View Single Post
# 8 22-10-2004 , 03:35 AM
Richard! are you there?

I tried the trick you explained and all went well except for one small problem. The blend shape worked as I slid the slider up and down but something unexpected happened as well. About a dozen faces located on various parts of the models body began migrating toward the dinosaurs head. At the end of their travel, then ended up located on or near the cut I made when I seperated the head from the body.

To seperate the head, I simply used the "cut faces tool". I then selected the head then <shift> selected the body and "combined" the two pieces together. Then I merged the vertices at the cut.

To make blend shapes I duplicated the dinosaur model then selected the head faces, inverted the selection then deleted the body.

To keep some of my tests as clean as possible. I didn't even modify the blend targets. I just set up the blend shape and tested it. In all cases, some faces located on the feet and one hand began migrating toward the head as I explained earlier.

What did I do wrong? I started from scratch and ran the tests a half dozen times. All with the same results.

I also ran a test where I set up the blend shape using the dinosaurs entire geometry; head and body. That test worked perfectly which leads me to believe that the problem has to do with the fact that I cut the head from the body then re-attached it.

One last clue; For a couple of my tests, I only selected the dinos snout while deleting the rest of his head and body to make the blend shape. I stayed as far away from the area that I cut as I could. I just wanted to rule out the possibility that the cut was causing the problem. Well, something else unexpected happened. Faces began moving toward the snout but this time, most of these faces were located on the dinos head instead of on his feet, as was the case in earlier tests.

Is the Blending getting confused because of an error in the way the vertexs are numbered? I re-attached the head to the body the way you explained then I checked a dozen or so faces and the ones on the head were all much lower numbers than the ones on his body so I believe the renumbering worked.

Any ideas?