View Single Post
# 1 06-11-2005 , 07:24 PM
Subscriber

confused with hair tutorial

Hi guys,
Long time no see. I have been working on my character, and it has been going really slow considering that I am school all week. However, I got through modeling my character's head and now I am ready to put some hair on her head. In addition, I am using my original book that came with Maya 6.0 unlimited, and started to read the tutorial on creating hair. Nevertheless, my problem is this. The tutorial shows their character is still in nurbs, and mine is in polygons. Furthermore, I was reading the online help file, and it says that the uv's must be layed out and none of them overlapping before applying hair to the polygons. Moreover, the book also shows that the charcter's head is not stitched together. Meaning, the scalp is one piece, the face is another, and the neck is the last seperate peice. However, in polygons, they say that uv mapping is the last thing you do after you model and stitch together etc. So when I uv mapped the entire head, the hair was applied all over. So my question is how are you suppose to apply the hair only to the scalp of the head if you are suppose to uv map the entire head first but not have it being applied to the entire character?