Thread: hard edges
View Single Post
# 8 04-11-2002 , 06:44 AM

Originally posted by undseth
Oh, I know user added image

It looks like a nurbs model (or so I guess).

If this is nurbs then the rendered result has corresponded to your projects level of "accuracy", which is named TESSELATION.

Although the nurbs curves and most importantly nurbs-surfaces, are calculated mathematically and gives that smooth, round shape, the software draws the line for how accuratly the result will be (more "accuracy" "draws" more computing power".

Actually, Tesselation refers itself to the process of converting Nurbs to Polygons. (be quads or triangles)

In this case for example you could ask yourself: "Why the hell do I need to change to polygons for?! I want my beautifull NURBS surface rendered!"

Well, Maya´s renderer actually tesselates (thus converts your NURBS Surface to polygons -triangles by default-) at the moment of rendering, and if this tesselation is not a high setting you´ll get edges (since less polygons mean more edges). Now just going with the flow then, a high render tesselation will allow Maya to cram in more polygons into the curve so it get´s a beautifull curvy Nurbs shape.

Just so you don´t get confused with undseth´s accuracy blabbering. LMAO!:p

(by the way: The methods he gave you are perfectly valid, I´m just enhancing the lesson.)

adldesigner
Caracas, Venezuela
Hell .. not gone perse, but with a certainly lower post count per day.