View Single Post
# 1 14-11-2016 , 05:20 PM

Rigging a robot. How to exactly?

Hi fellas. Im new to maya, well, not really "new" about the part of modelling and stuff, but really amateur in the part of skinning and rigging.

So, i want to make a robot to be used in unity3d. Not an android, a mechanical robot with humanoid form.

The problem is, i dont have a clue how to proceed when it comes to skinning. At the beginning, i thought that i could even avoid completely the skinning process keeping in mind it is just a robot and the arms, legs, etc are mechanical parts that will not move with the skin and need to be separated, for example, the movement of the leg comes from a rounded gear so i cant use skinning or it will look terribly bad. So, with just making the correct parent movements and placing some controlers here and there.. that should be it. But then i started to watch some videos, and i noticed that, even with robots, its highly recommended to do the skinning process.

So, my question is, is that right? how do i skin a robot? i mean, how can i make a skeleton that will not be attached to the "skin" of the robot , so i can move freely the rotating point of the arm, the head, or watever without deforming other parts of the body? im really confused at this point.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by n3mes1s; 15-11-2016 at 02:25 PM.