Thread: Smiler
View Single Post
# 49 06-09-2009 , 04:51 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by hammer.horror
but you will always work from references. which someone has drawn up.

Your just agreeing with what I said here. Even if you don't design the concept, you will still have to bring it to life. Employers need to know you can take an original design and bring it to life. Not be sat stuck because you've only ever done pre-existing objects. You make it sound like there's nothing behind what these people do. Taking a 2d concept and bringing it to life in 3d (successfully) is extremely hard. And demands a lot of creativeness from the artist. So, even if it isn't his design, he still has to make it work.

you wont have to add a personal touch. there are people paid way more money to do that, they are called directors.

Do you know how much a director has to do? He doesn't micro manage all of these sort of things. Of course he has a plane and a set design for the project. But it will usually be the Art director, or team head. In this situation you may not be adding touches of your own, but you will be responsible for adding the required touches, and again, making things work.

haha, you make it sound like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory! user added image

just so you know, my company don't do tid bits for movies. I suggest you try to organize a tour of a studio near you, if you want to learn how a movie/game is made...
also, when you talk about effects for movies are you meaning dynamics?

There is a lot more to effects than just dynamics.... perhaps you should take a tour of your own studio to find that out. I'm referring to the special effects that you see in movies, and on TV.... why would I be referring to dynamics?.... that isn't the subject of this discussion.

I think learning the basics gives you a better foundation to move on and create original characters and whatever. If i were an employer i would like to see that someone is able to do the simple stuff well, rather than a full character with lots of mistakes. I believe that would make you a better all-round artist.

Yes, I agree with you here (mostly), but you still need to be able to create full characters, that are perhaps unique in nature (original design). I agree you need something recognizable in your portfolio, but a lot of characters are going to be human, or at least humanoid, is this not going to be recognizable enough?

Dango's has made a really good start, all i was suggesting is that he look at references. it may help him decide how he wants to move on in zbrush.

Right.

Sorry Dango, for taking over the thread user added image

I will only post back when you update next.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"