View Single Post
# 18 12-12-2010 , 11:43 PM
Administrator
It's a good topic, Jaques. To make something like this reflect a proper studio workflow though it would have to be done by multiple people and work as a series where you'd have someone develop the concept in one tutorial, pass it on to someone else to be modeled followed by lighting & shading and finally post. I'd say it would work out as four tutorials if we did it the right way.

We've been thinking along these lines a lot, because we think it's better to produce content when you have someone who has the best knowledge and experience in one specific field do their part and then pass it on to someone else. I've been working on a product shot tutorial for photorealistic rendering and the problem I've found is that if I do the modeling myself I don't get a model that's accurate enough because modeling is not a field I focus on and I am a miserable modeler which really draws down the final outcome both in terms of end result and training value. A tutorial like this would therefore work better if it was split into a series of two where someone else like Jay who's a million times better than me would build it in one. In the case of Jay he could probably do both because he can light and render as well and pull of something photoreal I'm sureuser added image but you get my point most people have complete control of only one or two fields that would go into a pipeline.

Because we focus on Maya and Maya related software we'll be able to produce the best training for it on this site, but structuring it this way will mean more work and time to produce it. I think it's worth it in the end though because we want to raise the bar a bit for Maya training, there is a lot of bad Maya content online today. It will also mean that people who are interested in moving towards the industry will benefit from the training on Simply Maya as we'll gear it towards teaching production workflows and pipelines. We're also writing articles that we'll publish on the site, because we're interested in trying to give people more of an insight I'm on a lot of forums and numerous showreels and I've picked up on people struggle with finding a way into the industry.

Final thing, we have a tutorial called Render Layers in Production https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...=158&sub_cat=0
Izzy made it and it's really interesting for the reason that he has so much experience in this field. It only covers part of the full pipeline you want to see, but he makes a lot of interesting refs to the production pipeline.

Sorry for the novel...as alwaysuser added image
Nilla