View Single Post
# 1 16-09-2013 , 06:14 PM

UV mapping question

user added image

I just started learning UV mapping and this is my first attempt at it. I've modeled a window (the topology in this is a bit messy since it was made long time ago), so i wanted to texture it. Starting by uv mapping it. I moved+scaled the uv vertexes by hand, and i ended up with this.

Question 1: How would your uv-wrapping process look like? Would you also scale/move the vertexes by hand or would you use another technique? would you sew anything out? would using the relax tool or the unfold option be a good thing to use in this case? (i dont find it nessesairy, but then again, im new at this)

Question 2: If you look at the cornors of this mesh the checker texture is kind of going a bit crazy. I can tell it's because my uv mapping at the cornor isn't following the checker texture, so it's obviously going to be messed up in my perspective view. But how can i fix this? Should i paint on it like it is even though it doesnt look ok in the perspective view?

Question 3:
user added image
I want to use 'sew edges' on theese 2 loops to create 2 diffrent parts so i can do an autmatic mapping on the lower part and a planar mapping (sewing that so i can wrap it into a nice long piece. But when i try to sew this it doesnt do as i want. what can i do to achieve the uvmap layout that i want without having to separate the 2 pieces and combining them when uv-wrapping is done?

Thanks

- Skalman

edit:just noticed the upper-left window (right part) isnt finished yet. it is soon user added image user added image

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^

Last edited by Skalman; 16-09-2013 at 07:16 PM.