View Single Post
# 4 04-03-2003 , 11:59 PM

Re: What do you expect from a good texture?

1. Do you make most of your textures on your own
or do you download them somewhere?

I almost always make my own. I'll usually go out with my digital camera and photograph the textures I need, or I'll just paint from scratch.

2. Where Do you go to download your textures.

I usually go to photo texture websites to download textures if I can't make my own. There are a ton out there, but so far, I've been happy with morguefile.com and the free textures from Newtek.

3. Which programs do you use to create your textures?

Photoshop.

4. Would you share your textures with others?

Unlikely that I would give them out, because everything is very specific to my models. Also, most of the time, I can't give out my textures because I don't hold the copyright on them (I do game development).

5. What do you expect from a texture/material to be usable
for your projects?

Pretty much what kbrown and Darkware have said. Appropriate resolution, high quality.

6. How important is texturing besides modelling to you?

For games, good textures are extremely important. Often times, you have to use low to medium polygon counts on models and then make up all the details in the textures. The model by itself may not look like much, but once you get some nice textures on there, they could look incredibly good.

7. Which sites about textures and materials do you know?

Nothing that hasn't already mentioned. I tend to spend more time looking at photography and painting books if I need information on materials.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job