View Single Post
# 13 07-06-2010 , 04:29 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by gster123

Its a pain but theres a lot of students now looking at courses closer to home to cut back on the financial outlay.

Definatly go to the open days to get a feel for the uni and the place.

Cheers

Steve

I live in quite a rural area and could never commute to a university from where I am now, so, wether I can afford it or not, I'll have to pay for accommodation.

A lot of the open days overlap, so I can't/couldn't go to them. Warwick was at the same time as the Oxford departmental open day, so I don't know what that's like. (The Oxford open day was a complete waste of time by the way. They basically just read the prospectus out and when I had a question that wasn't on it even they didn't know the answer. How can they not know their own admissions policies?! We didn't even get to look around the department. And it turns out that they only take 25 people for the course. 25! Over 200 apply! Where as at Cambridge they take about 76. My school has a much better record with Cambridge as well (much, much better), so I know which one out of those two I'm applying to.) The UCL open day also clashes with the Cambridge open day, so I won't know what that's like.

I won't be going to the York one but I've already done a summer school there and applied for another one (plus it's last on my list anyway).

Having said this I can always arrange a visit once I get my offers.

Thanks for the advice everyone. user added image

https://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/as28g11/