View Single Post
# 1 16-08-2008 , 02:00 AM

maya vs motionBuilder when it comes to animating

hello mates!

I am learning motionbuilder for about a month now, and each more day using this software I tend to think about just dumping MB and coming back to maya.

is there anyone on this board having experience with motionBuilder? if yes, might some1 make a comment on what´s on my mind.

1) cleaning motionCaptureData in motionBuilder is (not) much less time-consuming then in maya because the advantage of animaton layers. you can make fast corrections with just some few keys on top of a "1key each frame" mocap layer and bake then everything together.

comment 1a) it would be if those animationlayers would just work like the are anounced to, but they simply don´t! I wonder how anybody can afford to spend time and money on such a system when having heavy mocap data to work with.

comment 1b) I am just too stupid to get my brain out of maya and into MoBuilder.

I spent alot of time recently on cgtalk in the motionbuilder section. no1 could provide me with a working solution. by now i don´t even know what is software bug and what is my own disability.

I would love to hear from you awesome animators here how you deal with mocap files, which have wo be cleaned up (in a sense like fk driving IK and then just switch to IK, keying some changes on a new anim layer something).

I never were into animation so much, but by now I have to and I want to.

what are your tricks with mocap files? do you have any special plugins or scripts which make your life easy?

I appreciate all comments.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.