View Single Post
# 9 29-09-2002 , 12:12 AM
Subscriber
For info there is a Seagate ATA drive due out soon - StorageReview.com

I keep hearing that the ATI display drivers are not great, but to be honest the Nvidia drivers aren't always that good. I've been looking around for any specific ATI Radeon 9700 driver issues but not found anything major.

On the other hand, some of the Nvidia gfx drivers have caused me no end of grief with bugs in their OpenGL drivers, hanging during install program, or that require you to manually delete driver file remnants and registry entries to remove all traces of a previous install before installing a new one.

Also has anybody got a Nvidia card that recognises their monitor maximum refresh rate correctly ? I look after machines with a mixture of Nvidia Geforce2 MX and GTS, Geforce3, Geforce3 ti 500, Geforce4 ti 4400, Quadro2 EX, and Quadro2 Pro. *None* of them Plug 'n Play detect the monitor they are connected to correctly, and I'm talking about a wide variety of modern main brand Sony, CTX, and Iiyama monitors here. All of the Matrox or ATI cards I have used have had no problems detecting the same monitors capabilities. The FAQ on the Nvidia site claims something along the lines of the monitors not being correct to some specification or other, but for some reason I don't buy that. user added image

I think my point here is that everyone seems to place a halo about the Nvidia drivers which I'm not sure they really deserve, and in the same vein, everyone disses the ATI drivers which I'm not sure they really deserve with their current cards and drivers.

I am really itching to buy a Radeon 9700 Pro, but sensible side of brain is going no..... don't do it... save money !!!! Somebody stop me... please !!!?!

Hey CyberLloyd, if one of them 2600's is going spare, I have a, er... friend, that could use it user added image

Last edited by badbunny; 29-09-2002 at 12:32 AM.