View Single Post
# 9 16-09-2006 , 09:10 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Ah this 'old' subject rears its head again.

I see it from both sides.

Firstly be it Star Trek or Star Wars thats being re run as the original, great! Its nostalgia at its best and it takes you back. Period

secondly, I would say since George (Im am on first name terms here LOL) has tinkered with the originals, its made every one else follow suit, including directors cuts or aded scenes here and there, which for the die hard fan is absolutely great. Myself being a real big SW fan, (Empire is still the best movie to date). Also again it pushes the boundaries with technology being of the utmost importance. George always wanted to add the extras to SW because at first budget wouldnt allow it and nodbody was interested in it at first. Then bang, big time!! George made everyone look up and rethink the whole movie tv thing, all matter of possibilites lay ahead. I think he mentions on an SW doc that a film director never finishes a movie completely, he abandons them. So if face with the possible choice of having another go, I think we'd all do it. Its cheaper than it ever was as well and can ,when done properly, fool the arse off you.

George Lucas does it, because he can, again setting an example for all to take advantage of whats being given to them. Unfortunately not everybody sees it this way.

It pisses me off, when these dudes with film cameras start banging on too about film over digital. Those arty farty types who have nothing better to do than dream of Film grain and scratched negs and think they are so 'in', how many of us want a scratched set of holiday negs from a once in a lifetime break over a digital version?

Hats off to the guys doing the remastered ST, used to love that after school...

Anyway enough ranting, I need to wind the TV up again! LOL

Jay