View Single Post
# 14 14-08-2004 , 03:49 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
I've yet to play Doom3, but have seen it played some. I'm waiting to get a new computer in a couple months. user added image

Far Cry seems to have much of the same visual technologies, but specializes in outdoor, long-range environments as opposed to the hallways of Doom.

yeah farcry also uses quadtrees for traversing/ocluding and theorically it can render all the indoors with lights and bumps+normals ie it can teorically do the same as doom3 on indoors (plus me believes it has a bigger 2.0shader variety)... it just doesnt looks as artistically snazzy(even with higher polycounts)...

the only thing i wonder about crytek is if it could handle the sheer size of the normal+bump+color+specular maps of doom3 at a decent speed... because they are huge even compressed! (i can feel them moving trough the agp when a new room/enemy not alrready loaded is about to appear... so who said there werent games that would ask for 512Mb of video memory to play at full quality(without 1/4 sec lags while loading)?

R-till: yes lets not forget the groupal ai, and the mp....

The only thing i didnt liked was the mouse sensivity controller... by default it was really f*ked up, i managed to set it so it was bearable, but actually never managed to make it enjoyable like it was from the beginning on ut2004 or sof2...

Last edited by dragonfx; 14-08-2004 at 08:21 PM.