View Single Post
# 4 14-11-2006 , 02:57 PM
Subscriber
Oops!

Just figured since the four spots are all on the sphere that s/he doesn't want to throw shadows. I understood the intention to be that of illuminating the parts of the sphere that were not subject to the spotlights.

Still though, I don't quite understand the problem of my solution looking flat on account of it's lack of shadows. How would this be different in appearance to turning off the shadows of a spot?

I've only got back into 3d in Sept this year. The last time I was doing 3d was with 3DS R3 & R4.

With the limited power available (i.e 486 DX2 66) and the 'cutting edge' rendering technology avail at the time, it was much quicker (and easier on the HUGE 32Mb of ram) to use an ambient, on account of there being no transformation work done on the light. Nor is there any need to calculate areas affected by said light, since an ambient affects all object equally. (and practically zero calculation time)

Mind you, in retrospect, on today's machines saving a couple of thousand clock-cycles is not even worth the effort of laughing at. I mean a whole couple of thousand in some 2 or 3 thousand million. Lol...