View Single Post
# 7 09-06-2010 , 09:23 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by ColdWave
Elephants :p

I considered it, but it's not really relevant to the course I want to do... (I checked, there is no course on elephant :hug: )

Originally posted by Chirone

also what computer science thongs do you know about? would you rather do something you're familiar with or something thats totally new to you?

We need to log 100 hours (I could write 6000 words in 10) so I think it's intended that we spend a lot of time on research, so something new would be good.
But I don't really know about anything that in depth anyway.

Originally posted by Chirone
i dont understand this part, it almost sounds like a key thing that will determine the type of essay (like how academic it is) before i can suggest anything

The project is intended for the best students (the only people that really do it are the ones trying to get in to one of the best universities). From the examples I've seen, many aren't that academic. But I think it is intended to be, especially since I'm doing a science (and most examples I've seen were for english type subjects). I would certainly prefer to do something more academic and it would probably make me look better if it was more academic.

Originally posted by stwert

But on the topic, you could write about "Why RAID is not a backup" or "Mac vs PC" or "The considerations, pros and cons of render farms"

lol. As far as Mac Vs PC is concerned, I think it would be a bit subjective and not academic enough (if my interviewer had strong feelings on the subject it might not go down well). Most of the people that apply for computer science seem to be gamers that only take the subject because they a) they can't think of anything else and b) seem to like anything to do with games so just do computer science because it is in some small way related and they can't think of anything else. I think these kinds of people would do something more trivial and I want to try and differentiate myself from them.

The other two are definitely good starting points, mostly because they are open for discussion. However, now that I think about, I think I want to do something more academic, that will require significant research.

Originally posted by gster123
6000 Words is not a lot really.

Thers a lot to go at with regards to parallel processing, the history and development would fill 6000 words easily, before going on to specilist applications within the GPU and the rise of the GPGPU with stream processing, development tools such as CUDA and the overall advantages and disadvantages for each.

6000 words would be easily acheivable on the subject for a well researched and referenced project.

So do you think this might be a good idea? Do you think it is a subject that's open to discussion rather than just stating facts?

Thanks for the help/suggestions everyone, it really helps. user added image

https://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/as28g11/