Thread: Corrupt Scene.
View Single Post
# 8 05-12-2006 , 07:05 PM
Subscriber
j5ive,
No worries.

As to number 3 - It's not something I'd tried before, just something that came to mind.

I have just tried it on a scene that I broke intentionally. But even something so simple, with just one object consisting of 416 faces broke the idea.:blush:

What I did was to search for all instances of "CreateNode" in the ascii file. I then one by one, deleted everything between successive instances of the createnode command.

I was able to rid myself of an extra node in the hypergraph, BUT the model still refused to respond to an extrude polygon or extrude edge command. WTH??

In this instance a cylinder was created and extruded some, before being converted into a subd and then onto a nurbs object. I then deleted some patches before converting back to polys. Delete some more faces, try to extrude but NOTHING. nada, zilch, zip.

I get a node created for the extrusion, but the extrude handle never appears, nor does entering a value into the offset field of the channel box have any effect..

Gad dammit!!

The only other thing I could offer, is that one of the pieces of geometry in your scene is 'broken', but the rest are ok. If no other method proved fruitfull, perhaps something to try would be exporting just parts of the scene in a bid to locate the rogue geometry...

Even with a lot of pieces, you could divide the task up in a binary fashion, i.e try the top half, then try the bottom half. Once (IF..) one half saves, then go on and divide up the 'broken' half again and again until you can identify the problematic area.

e.g
1) TopHalf saves ok
2) Bottom Half is broken
3) Bottom Half, <front half of> is ok
4) Bottom Half, <back half of> is broken
5) Bottom Half, Back, left half of is ok
6) Bottom Half, Back, right half is broken.
etc, etc

Now, I'll say it upfront this time:blush: , don't know if this method will work, but I suppose it's gotta be preferential to re-modelling and rigging if nothing else does..

Simon.