View Single Post
# 1 20-01-2007 , 04:36 PM

modeling video installations in 3d

Hi,

I'm an artist with a background in film and photography. What I'd like to do is model video installations in 3d on my mac. That is, I want to have multiple channels of video as planes that can be arranged and viewed in three dimensions (I assume no program now can model actual projection although that would be really cool). I'm not sure as of now if I want to export the models as video files, in which case I would map the path of the camera through the installation, or as actual models which the user could manipulate (also not sure what formats there are for this- do people still use vrml?). So I'm probably looking for a program that could do both.

I've started to learn Maya, using video tutorials and such online. I figured this would be good because I'm applying for some jobs with design and architectural firms. However, I find the learning curve extremely steep almost entirely because the interface is so counterintuitive to me (especially compared with the programs I'm used to like final cut and photoshop, for which I required pretty much no instruction). I think part of the problem is also that I don't have a three button mouse and so have been getting by with keyboard shortcuts (although I can't figure out the one for the middle button). Long story short, I've been trying for a while and can't get my video textures to even show up.

So, I'm wondering if I should keep working with Maya or consider different programs. Is it possible to do what I'm talking about in a compositing tool (I have Shake as part of Final Cut Studio)? I figured if I'm learning 3d I should learn an industry standard, but maybe there is a program more suited to working with video, and possibly easier. What would you all recommend? Thanks.

Zach