View Single Post
# 48 04-01-2010 , 09:49 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
hey Guys

coldwave: In my opinion 2d is a must. If you can get yourself on an evening course or class once a week to do it then do so.

2d Art is the absolute foundation of any art, and it serves as a basis in which to establish the forms of any given object albeit organic or otherwise. You get light and shadow for free without having to set anything up, that is something else to learn too. These skills will then hopefully cross into sculpture and 3d and so on.

Also worth doing is carrying a small sketch book around with you, just doodle some stuff in a given time, you'll improve in no time and as I said the skills will show in other areas.

G-Man:

Ahh no worries mate, its all relative to whats being done here, so I'll leave the posts as is, I dont mind.
Anyway as promised from earlier...I think you pretty much know your stuff as far as modelling is concerned. You know a bad mesh when you see one, I think now you just need to take the plunge and do it. You have all the theory in your head, just put it into practice. I had a similar discussion like this at work. My Supe and me both said at the end of the day a model is a model regardless of it form and surface. You just do it. The principle are the same generally.

With organics like a face, have a look in the topology thread, a fairly good face mesh's edge flow pretty much follows the muscle structure of a face. theres a muscle chart there too so check it out. Also look at the first images on this thread and then look in the topology thread, despite this being an Alien, it stiill has the main muscle features in the right places.

everything has form, if you can do a hard surface object then an organic one is no probs, the corners are just....rounder

Jay