Thread: Girlfriends ?
View Single Post
# 19 15-07-2007 , 09:20 PM
Subscriber
I've been married five years (we renewed our vows on our fifth anniversary). The Mrs. has been INCREDIBLY supportive these past five years and has made many sacrifices so that I could learn Maya. As a freelance animator, I have variable down time, so I could spend anywhere from 2 to 12+ hours a day on Maya. I also work as a musician (a few well-placed gigs go a long way in paying the bills) and also belong to the NY Army National Guard. Last year, I dragged my desktop along on active duty and will probably do the same.

Any time I'm not doing something else (job, church, time with the Mrs. or the military), I'm working on Maya (either doing or studying).

The fact that I am making the transition from 2D to 3D pretty much amounts to the equivalent of a mid-life career change, and there is a fair amount of luck and timing involved in getting that dream gig.

I have pretty much given up all other hobbies and interests in favor of Maya for the time being, as it is a difficult program to master. At this point, five years of diligence is starting to pay off.

Burn out? No such thing. Yes, there are times when I just stare at the screen or sit in a state of utter frustration (ie I cannot get that ^#%$*& rig to work), but I realize that I have a new career to launch, and sitting around isn't going to help.

I am truly grateful for the opportunity to learn that I have been given, and plan to run woth it.

To Cold Wave:

I do sympathize with your plight. I had the pleasure of working with a young Bulgarian lady myself (her and her musician husband moved to New York City and she was an assistant animator at a studio I worked at) who would describe life in her home country (however poor it may be right now, Bulgaria certainly is a beautiful country based on the pictures she showed us). There is a small but significant Bulgarian community here in New York City. You'd be welcome here! (BTW I'm of Grecian ancestry, so technically we're ethnic "neighbors"!) Keep following your dreams!

A good thread, but I do have to get back to work! :-)

PS congrats, Mike!!! All the best to you & the Mrs.!

"Ad astra per aspera..."