View Single Post
# 180 09-05-2010 , 10:16 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Guys

Rhetoric:

Proxy models are a very blocky version or a representation of the hi res version. Usually used as a place holder for animation either on characters or other animate things, even cameras running thru an environment so the playback is instant. Then at rendertime the proxy is then replaced by a script or switch which will enable the final hi res model to get rendered out.

Yeah as Legend says, its a requirement for things to be in place for the proxy, and I also tried creating the hi res first then go around deleting stuff again to make a proxy, its a real pain. So its faster and far easier to do a proxy, create uvs, then add hi res loops.

No you cant use instances either, because they can cause issues in the pipe line, rendering etc and so on. I did actually ask about them but they arent as 'practical' in a pipeline as you think. Well not where Im working at the moment anyway, other places might be different.

Anyway I hope the tip works out useful for you all, its not just for traditional blendshapes. I have another cool tip that I'll post later.

Jay