View Single Post
# 18 25-07-2006 , 12:59 PM
The Maya Mountain
yeah I'd have to agree that there's not a lot of basis for some of those statements.

I know the projects that I've personally worked on, dynamics and particles were always done in proprietary apps, with no use of Maya or Max for them.

And on another project I was on, Max was the one used for animation because the engine utilized Max's Character Studio tools, but I did all of the modeling/texturing in Maya.

Just depends on the project, really. I have read that Maya is a little less than 50% of the industry. I'd assume, though, that Max is also a little less than 50% and the rest is XSI, Lightwave, etc. That's just speculation on my part though.

All in all, the app used doesn't matter. You really can't look at a piece of game art and say "Oh, that was made in Max" or "Of course, that was made in Maya."

In fact, in my latest Maya book, in the book's color gallery insert, I know that a couple of the models were made in Max! haha user added image But aside from a lucky guess, no one could tell me which ones just by looking!

-Mike
The Maya Toolbelt