View Single Post
# 1 15-11-2009 , 02:13 AM

Any floorplan tutorials out there?

Howdy, I'm a little new here and to Maya as well. I'm taking a little break from 3ds max and trying out Maya.

I'm posting because I, like many, have had trouble with booleans. I've checked all the posts, and still have not found what I am doing wrong.

I'm posting to find out if there are any tutorials out there that show how to build a house from floorplans. I tried finding some simple plans and importing an image plane.

I then used a plane on top of the image and drew out a wall. I used the plane slice and formed my walls, using merge vertex where two walls would need to join when the situtation arose.

I then extruded the object up, and made a door. I put the door inside the wall, so that it stuck out both sides and tried boolean difference. It disappeared. Cleanups and other steps I tried failed.

Is that the process one would take for making a house from floorplans(import image plane, draw walls with plane object, extrude up, boolean doors/windows) ?

Is there another way to cut out the doors and windows without a boolean? I'm liking maya a bit more than 3ds, if for no other reason than the reference images don't distort and warp when you move around in viewports.