View Single Post
# 8 31-08-2005 , 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Nusirilo
Sounds like good advice. However, you say that anyone can learn to draw. Can anyone learn how to draw well? I have never been a great drawer (if that is a word in this sense) and have therefore tried to stray away from anything to do with drawing. Would taking a traditional art course in high school truly make a big difference? If so, I may have to give consideration to that. It always frustrates me, though, because I always feel that people who can draw well are generally born with that skill, or at least the majority of that skill. Is this not true?

Well i heard a quote that it take thousends of bad drawings to get to the good ones.

So the key is to just draw. It may be rubbish, so try again, and keep trying and eventually you'll pick it up and you can get very good. Yes, some people just "have it", other dont but that dosn't mean you can't become really good.

Me... i certainly wasn't great (and still arn't) but i have seen improvements in my drawings and i am starting to get that "eye"

Try looking at "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Dr. Betty Edwards. Basically it trains you to independently work the right side of the brain, without interferance from the left side, as you should only be drawing with the right side.

Basically the theory is as follows:

Betty Edwards has used the terms L-Mode and R-Mode to designate two ways of knowing and seeing - the verbal, analytic mode and the visual, perceptual mode - no matter where they are located in the individual brain. You are probably aware of these different characteristics. L-mode is a step-by-step style of thinking, using words, numbers and other symbols. L-mode strings things out in sequences, like words in a sentence. R-mode on the other hand, uses visual information and processes, not step-by-step, but all at once, like recognizing the face of a friend.

Most activities require both modes, each contributing its special functions, but a few activities require mainly one mode, without interference from the other. Drawing is one of these activities.

Learning to draw, then, turns out not to be "learning to draw." Paradoxically, "learning to draw" means learning to make a mental shift from L-mode to R-mode. That is what a person trained in drawing does, and that is what you can learn.

https://www.drawright.com/

So when drawing with the "left side" you tend to draw that you think you see, insted of that is actually there. You almost break down that your drawing and dont see it as one.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....