View Single Post
# 10 12-12-2005 , 10:02 AM
Subscriber
Cool, I will try that.

I hope this thread won't be a long as my actual WIP thread. user added image

While I have your precious attention there is one other think I feel I have to clear up if I am going to make a good job of this model. Rope, there is loads of the stuff but for some reason I having trouble with it.

All my rope is made with simple poly cylinders and when I was making it I thought, this is going to be easy. Most of it is rope. Boy was I wrong. I have images of actual Victory rope (oooh) but I find it hard to make a texture out of it. I cut it out and make it tillable but I keep on getting distortions, what's more than that is it looks rather naff. It looks like just what it is, a cylinder with a picture posted on it I guess a good bump map would fix that ... I guess.

But there also always seams to be ... well .... a seam. I visible side where you can see a mirroring of the texture.

You see, what I have done is laid the the UV map of the cylinder out flat and just put it over the picture of rope. I guess if I do that right that would be ok for rope that wraps around a mast or something like that where you won't see all the sides but not for the rigging.

The reason I am asking is that I want to make sure I am doing this the best possible way and not to struggle half way through and find out later on. It's just that I have seen 3D rope and it does look pretty sweet, I just can't imagine mine getting to that standard the way I am doing it.

Cheers for you time, I know I rabble on a bit. You'll make a pro out of me yet :attn:

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog