Thread: dt_dinosaur
View Single Post
# 5 02-05-2009 , 04:28 PM
Yeah I know and lately some of my stuff has started to rival the work in the tutorials (but I have the advantage of nearly infinite amounts of time to put into my work).

My technical skills are there but I don't have very good drawing skill and I guess I am not talented enough to come up with my own reference art. Given art work I am a pretty good technical modeler. I do the tutorials for the reference art. Also, I go long periods where I don't do anything with Maya and need a refresher.

I don't need much in the way of tutorial information on this one as I have done enough organic modeling stuff that I don't learn many new things from the tutorial it self. Once and a while I will pick up a new tid-bit or get reminded of one I had forgotten. The work above took just a little over 30 minutes.

Lately, I have been interested in hard surface modeling and there are not a lot of good tutorials out there on hard surface stuff, Jay's land speeder was the last good one I did, but I am stuck on the texturing. So I took this side track because it has a fairly detailed texture mapping section in it. The hard surface tutorials don't really go into the depth of the details I am interested in like complicated surface detailing, panel details, surface damage, as a lot of this type of stuff is done in bump and normal mapping techniques. Which are more of an artistic thing which brings us back full circle to I am good at technical modeling but not so good at artistic skill.

If I had the artistic and creative talent this would not be so much a hobby but something I would love to pursue as a career.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 02-05-2009 at 07:39 PM.