Thread: Mac PLE crashes
View Single Post
# 15 10-06-2008 , 09:34 AM

Originally posted by The Architect
I find it unusual that the G4 is faster than the Intel Core. The G4 architecture is ancient compared to the Core architecture and I would expect that Intel would have reduced the latency of most instructions (eg. add, subtract, etc.) to one or two cycles. Since the Core is also clocked way higher, along with faster RAM and that, it should have a significant performance increase over the G4.

When comparing single core to dual core processors, keep in mind that dual core processors usually have newer architectures than single core processors and that alone should make up for the 1 or so GHz difference. For example, the Core 2 has dual FPUs, while the P4 doesn't , so it would completely own the P4 even at a lower speed (to a certain point, of course).

Yeah sorry I should have mention that the Intel Mac is tied up supplying Live Video feeds to 22 Webcams on my wifes Stable yard!

Sorry sort of took that one for granted...
My humblest apologies I will make sure I give all the details next time
user added image

So you are quite correct about the G4 being slower

Just wanted to clear that up, being a newbie member and this is the first forum I have actually subscribed to I will miss things out from time to time.

Cheers

Chris