View Single Post
# 1 14-07-2008 , 12:05 PM
Subscriber

Rendering in layers... again

too many polygon shapes....and they all need to cast shadows...

currently i'm aware that rendering in layers is the best thing you could do as it helps a lot in post....

but from what i understand you should have a layer for each mesh (or some meshes that should get the same lighting treatment and dont interfere with each other)

and then for each layer you need to render out everything like occlusion, diffuse, specular etc

then some objects recieve shadows, have reflections, and refractions...

now a while ago i asked how to keep the shadows on a rendered layer and the answer was to put the object into the layer and turn its renderStats->PrimaryVisible to off

worked great... but only when i had a few objects that needed to cast a shadow onto the main subject of the layer...

if i have 60 objects all independant of each other all casting a shadow or in a reflection then that would mean i would have to click each individual object and scroll down to renderStats->PrimaryVisible and click it... now that's gonna be one heck of a task...esp since you cant mass click render stats for all of them at once or do it for a group object

is there a fast way to set up the render layers so you get all the occlusion, diffuse, specular, shadows, etc for each object?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D