View Single Post
# 13 29-08-2011 , 08:08 PM
Yes there are ngons at the cylinder caps. Those are planar and will not deform so they will render just fine and so I left them there intentionally.

The thing with ngons is that if you are working in a studio pipeline or you intend to sell your work you can not always know how your model will be used and ngons can cause problems if the model is deformed or when uv'ing and texturing.

For this video I did mention that you should strive for all quads and the the occasional unavoidable triangle.

However, I did fail to mention that I left the ngons in the model intentionally because I know that an ngon on a planar surface will render fine and that the model is not part of a studio pipeline and that it will not be deformed, uv'd or textured.

The purpose of the video was to demonstrate an alternative method to putting holes or extracting circular details from a surface. Instead of making the surface and then drilling holes, I proposed creating the holes and then filling in the gaps between them to create the overall surface. I only intended to demonstrate this idea and not develop a perfect final model.

I also tried to demonstrate a generous subset of the modeling tools that would be helpful to someone new to maya - combine, bridge, edge extrude, insert edge loop, target welding verts, deleting edges, poly extrude thicken and offset as well as how to control edge tension with control edges and the use of the marking menu system.

I hope this clears up some of your questions.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 04-10-2011 at 03:51 AM.