View Single Post
# 2 21-04-2009 , 01:44 AM
Subscriber
i'm assuming you're talking about the funky white shader that has dark areas where the area is occluded by something else? and it looks like its got a touch of noise

it's called Ambient Occlusion (AO)

i think there are presets for it in the hypershade, but you can also do it if you use the render layers

add the objects you want to render in the AO render to a render layer (the radio button for it is next to the display layers) right click on the layer, and if you're using 2008/8.5 choose presets > Occlusion
if you're using 2009 you can find it somewhere in the right click menu, i can't remember which part of the menu its in, but you get a whole giant list of presets

hit render and you'll see magic happen.

if you're using 2008/8.5 then the renders in the layers will appear in the render preview
if you're using 2009 then the renders will appear in the tmp folder of the images folder (provided you set your project up with the default folders)

you can also render it out with the batch renderer, that way it wont end up in the tmp folder, but you need to make sure you set your render settings to desirable settings

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D