View Single Post
# 14 05-10-2007 , 11:11 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
DJ: Cool idea, I dunno where Id put mine in town, somebody would damage it or take it LOL

Banksta: Many thanks, there is no secret, its down to persistence and taking crit and advice. Lots of observation too, this includes just looking at real people and also looking at techniques from good character modelers, then making your own decisions how to model stuff. I've always been a big fan of Bay Raitt (Gollums Modeler) and his techniques of edge loops etc he pretty much introduced the cg community to that technique (I think).

I will add however, that despite this model being Zbrushed its base mesh was still made from scratch in Maya to get those loops in position. Having the loops in place allows for a more natural sculpt in the way of muscle flow around the face. I think its easier this way, as good as ZB is and the amount of polys it handles models need to be manageable for blendshapes etc outside of the sofware so dont be 'blinded' by the Z factor in this area, Z adds the final touch to kick the model into place.

I think my friend and work colleague 'GioChrono' will vouch for me on this one....

Cheers for now
Jay