View Single Post
# 1 24-06-2010 , 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Linear Lighting - gamma script

Hey guys, been working on something user added image and I thought I'd share!

I've searched the net but didn't find anything satisfactory soooo I made my own.

This is one of the scripts I made to deal with gamma issues with linear lighting workflow with Maya/Mental Ray. I'm still going to be tweaking but it works.

Description:

Plugs gamma nodes into all existing mia_material, x and passes materials in the scene while retaining colors and textures so you can build networks withough tediously type 0.455 :s . SSS and carpaint coming soon.

/crossesfingers

Also, because mia materials and with gamma nodes + textures can end up looking yucky in the viewport.
the script creates dummy or "MULE" shaders (in this case, blinns) to serve as realtime stand-ins for the mia material and assigns them to whatever objects using the mia mat but Mental Ray will only see the mia mats come render time. Oh yeah, it does some renaming to clean things up, like the generic pain in the arse names giving to shading groups that do not change even when you renamed the shader.

Directions:

Drop the script file into your local script folder like "C:\MyDocuments\maya\scripts". And when you want to execute it, just type "PMM_gammaALL;"into the commandline or script editor (might as well just drag drop that onto a shelf or whatever).

NOTE: I have personally made a Hypershade tab for Mental Ray materials only soooo I have a retreat from the blinns and lamberts.

Think I'm going to copy some of this into the readme file >.>

Anyways test away, C&C welcome.

>>>>------screenie-------<<<<<<<

Edit: didn't realize how wide that image was, yikes.

user added image

Attached Files
File Type: rar pmm_gammaall.rar (144.7 KB, 356 views)

- Genny

Last edited by GecT; 24-06-2010 at 08:37 AM.