View Single Post
# 4 23-03-2011 , 06:13 PM
I agree with pretty much every thing tweetytunes posted.

Drop the motion graphics for the beginning. All you need is a title card with your name, and what you do. Recruiters tend to only look at the first ~30 seconds of your reel, because they have so many to get through. If all you've shown in that time is your name and title, they won't bother looking at the rest.

For your gundam, if you're going to go with the turntable, speed it up. Have it rotate a once or twice in a few seconds. You may want to do a few different camera angles for it as well, as seeing it from a distance doesn't help bring out the details you've put in. Also, I would highly recommend putting it in a pose. It's more dynamic and makes it interesting to look at. The way it is now, makes me not want to look at it because it's boring. Like tweetytunes mentioned, drop the stills, if you have more camera movements on your turntable, there's no need for stills. Also, I would texture it if I were you. It shows you have another skill set, and your model will look that much better.

For the nintendo controller, don't use a black background. Even just throwing up a ramp shader on a plane behind it will make it much better. Also, I really see no reason for you to show the inside of controller. There's nothing inside. If you modeled the electronics inside, then great! I'd love to see that. But what you have right now is not worth showing the inside of the controller.

For compositing, again I agree with tweetytunes. Drop the LoTR clips. It didn't seem to track with your eye as well as the previous images.

Music - don't need it. About 99% of the time, it'll just be muted anyway.

For your ending, move all the info to one slide. There's no reason to have all that broken up, and take that long as well.

Hope I wasn't too harsh. I know what a daunting task it can be to put a reel together, but hopefully we can steer you in the right direction, so you can make a kick ass reel.

https://www.kevincincinnati.com/