View Single Post
# 3 22-02-2009 , 01:04 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by hammer.horror
i didn't understand this sentence

I scaled my texture down from 2048 to 1024 because I thought the scale would be more realistic.

You use the UVs to make the texture... so if you output the UVs at 2k the texture should be 2k when you use the outuv file.

perhaps i'm not getting it, could you post some pics for those of us that understand visually.
user added image

What I meant is that I made made the UV output of my wall 2048 x 2048. Then the texture I used to paint on to the UV's was 2048 x 2048 but I scale it down to 1024 and did a test to see how big the tiling looked. It was still to big so I scaled it down more and lost the resolution. My question is to keep the resolution and scaling of my texture high where It doesn't get pixelated, is there a formula to figure out the smallest I can scale my textures down compared to the UV output where it doesn't become washed out. I hate painting a whole texture map exactly how I want it and the scale is still to big when I render it out. I started using layered textures with alpha's but that is a lot of work when I could make all my maps from one texture if I knew exactly what size it would be when I render.