View Single Post
# 27 08-01-2004 , 03:27 PM
Yeah, well my Apple G4 1 GHZ Dual did the test scene in 8:12! That's right! Take that. user added image

Longer is better, right? (joke)

Strangely, I got around 4:30 at home on a DP 867 (slower machine). I think the 8:12 may have been because I rendered while I had about fifteen apps open and continued working in them. Still a terrible time on both machines.

Well, at least I've got quality multi-tasking to keep me going for a while. In OS X, I can capture an entire DV tape, render in After Effects, download a 100 MB file, print high quality files to the inkjet, burn CDs and watch DVDs all at the same time with no perceived slowdown, crashes or hiccups (well, maybe a belch here and there). Not bad for a two year old machine.

Now if Alias can just get that code more cooperative with the G5s (1 GIG FS bus) and take advantage if its utterly monstrous architecture, I'd be a happy camper.

It seems the equivalent G5s are about twice as slow right now (in Maya), or half as fast if you prefer. That's with no G5 code whatsoever, so it will be interesting to see what the next release gets us on (me) on that proc.

------

Hux-By "viewport monster" I assume you mean putting more money into the graphics card versus the CPU? Are there other ways to make it more of a viewport monster than a render monster? For me as well, it seems I would prefer a viewport monster most of the time.