View Single Post
# 1 29-06-2017 , 10:03 AM

Rigging Motion platforms in Maya

Hello community.

My first post so apologies if anything is not the norm!

I am using Maya to rig & animate motion platforms. The movement data is exported as CSV points and inputted into a motion controller which drives the rigs.

Here is a link to a screencast of the project in question.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vg3o91p9rp...st....mov?dl=0

The pistons and ram bodies are connected with Aim constraints and the ram is parented to the top plate. So as the top plate moves all 6 rams react, however I am having a couple of issues with rigging the model.

1. Limiting the stroke length of the rams. I have limited (attribute editor, limit information) the Y translate on the controller so the rams are limited at 0 and 300 (stroke length).

However I can't find a solution for limiting the rotation. If the rig is lowered at a 0 position and only 2 rams are raised the other 4 should not lower past 0.

see attached photo 1

Likewise at the top position no ram should go above 300.

see attached photo 2

I need a way to either add limiting positions to each object or perhaps add a box around the model which could dynamically stop the rams going past a specific point. Or any other suggested ideas!

2. Exporting distance (measure tool) as CVS points.

At the moment I have parented a small cylinder to each ram and exported the movement data of the cylinder to CSV points.

I would like to connect locators to the ram and ram body to monitor the distance of travel throughout a move but I can't find a way to export the distance data from the measure tool (0-300) as CSV points. user added image

see attached photo 3

Is there a way you can view the measure tool distance in the channel box?

I have struggled to find any info online so any feedback would be greatly appreciated! user added image

Attached Thumbnails