View Single Post
# 12 22-08-2005 , 12:10 AM
Senior Software Developer

Originally posted by noanswer42
Can somebody tell me anything they know about SoftImage XSI?. I was just looking at it and wondering if anyone here has used it before, or whether it could be a reasonable substitution for Maya (just trying to keep my options open). I think they might have used it to work on Half-Life 2.

Hi pal,

I was an XSI 4 user and found some of its features very good, but in the end I turned to Maya. XSI is easier to learn and has a simple GUI to learn. Maya is tougher to use and learn, but worth the effort in the long run..

XSI is a great tool, but does not share all the features of the Industry Giant and King of the Hill, Maya. XSI has easy binding for skinning and subsequent animation, but is clumsy. I would evaluate what your wanting to do. Model, Texture, Aminate, Rig or build scenes or deal with lighting. XSI has no NURBS and only deals with Polys. It ability to render in the GUI and not use another window is very handy, but these dont compare to the in built tools available for Maya. XSI has very few tutorials available and even fewer free ones. Maya has a large community (not as big as 3DS Max). If you were looking for an alternative I would dump for 3DS. But be warned I did not like its GUI and found it wierd to use and ditched it after only 2 months. I used XSI to learn basic Poly modelling and after 6 months made the switch to Maya.

Remember tho XSI was used to create the best 1st person shooter of all time - Half Life 2.

3DS Max is the tool used by Rockstar North for GTA 3 Series.

So its up to you and what you want to do.

I would still say Maya is the best. I mean Pixar use it... :bow:

'nough said....

All hail Alias... :attn:

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)

Last edited by R@nSiD; 22-08-2005 at 12:20 AM.