View Single Post
# 1 01-12-2008 , 10:57 AM

A perfect circle in a poly world...

Can someone tell me if I'm losing my mind or not? I've been road-testing Maya 2009 and did some simple modeling tests last night, specifically modeling a perfectly circular hole (or extrude) in a poly mesh. Smooth Preview (or Smooth with 2 divisions) both show the hole as slightly elongated. I swear I remember in past versions the hole shapes being more circular but maybe it's always been this way and I've just never noticed. Here's the simple test if anyone would like to play along and let me know the results.

1) Create a cube or plane with some divisions

2) Split across a couple or faces following the attached image (basically creating an "x").

3) Now, poly split the shape of a circle (use snapping)...it should be an octaganal shape like in the image.

4) Now, either delete the face and smooth or extrude the face down a few times (1st extrude slightly moved down, 2nd extrude, down farther, 3rd extrude, slightly down like the first one) and smooth.

Confirm that this is or isn't perfectly circular and what version of Maya you're using.

On an off note, I CAN tweak verts to make things close to perfectly circular. I'm just curious if something changed between versions that requires tweaking. Or If I'm seeing some kind of camera distortion...or if I need new spectacles...or if I'm just going completely daft.

Attached Images

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."