View Single Post
# 1 19-10-2008 , 05:22 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

British stereotypes

Now I dont mind stereotypes, in fact, i quite like the idea of being posh
but some stereotypes are completely unfounded

For one, the whole bad teeth thing, looking online it seems some Americans think as low as 1% of British people have seen an orthodontist and that less than 1/8th of British people regally go to the dentist. Ok, we dont go for cosmetic teeth surgery as much but personally I have never had a filling are any kind of work (although to be honest my teeth are slightly wonky)

The whole queuing thing......well thats quite true, compared to some countries we are much better queuers and to be honest we do seem to look for any excuse to queue (for example, with the whole northern rock crises, what do we do, QUEUE!)

But you wont say were posh once you have been in the middle of Bradford

And with regards to medical treatment some people seem to think we dont even have anesthetics! (as one american i found said "WOW! You have those?")

I have actually been asked if i know the queen by Americans (ones that are most defiantly NOT joking)

With regards to the tea drinking thing, well thats mostly true....

also, regarding accents on completely serious Tv shows or movies of actors playing British people are ridiculous, if your british and own a TV you will know what i mean

And while Im on the subject, I go to school in Yorkshire, was born in Yorkshire but live on the border between West Yorkshire and Lancashire and the stereotypes Yorkshire holds are ridiculous. They seem to think Lancashire is in the dark ages, when it is pretty the other way around.....

Now Let the flaming of one begin :p

https://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/as28g11/