View Single Post
# 1 02-02-2003 , 12:53 AM
Subscriber

Coke Can: Guidance Required

Hi there, was drinking a can of coke today and thought I'd have a go at modelling the can, nothing too hard so far but I have a few questions I'd like to ask before I go any further.

The pictures below are a couple of test renders using a spotlight to light it, however as you can see the shadow looks a bit "Iffy" if you ask me, it's not a pure shadow, its kinda lumpy and jagged, any ideas on how to make the shadow look alot nicer, also as you can see at the top of the can the texture goes a bit strange, not smooth and nice. I'm modelling in polygons and have used the smooth wireframe to make the little dimple on the top of the can nice and smooth.

One other problem is I started with a cylinder but mustn't have used enough segments on the top and as a result the can has edges visible at the top so its not perfectly circular, is there anyway to remedy this? Maybe add more segments in now, or is it too late?

One more question user added image How do I go about making the hole on the top? Would it be wise to just delete a face in the shape of the hole, or extrude down and texture it black? What would be the best way to go about that?

Ok one more question, well two lol, but better to ask it all now... firstly where can I find a texture of a coke can I can use, secondly is there any easy way to put writing onto a texture, for the top of the can? Or is it a matter of having to make a texture that has writing on it?