View Single Post
# 1 17-12-2009 , 05:42 PM

Using profile curves, cutting planes, and booleans...

Here is a couple of short videos I made for another user describing how to use profile curves, to make cutting planes which can be used with the polygon boolean operation to cut up a polygon pipe.

Booleans are very powerful and get a much undeserved bad reputation. I use them all the time. I come from a nurbs / hard surface background and in surfacing applications like Rhino, and professional design applications like Studio tools booleans are a staple part of creating shapes.

===========================

The first video is about 15 minutes and covers the creation of the top section and the second video is only 5 minutes and shows how to create the bottom section for a perfectly fitted completed part.

I hope you find this helpful.

I am not sure how much bandwidth I have remaining on screencast.com so if I run out and you cannot run the video I will put another copy of both on YouTube.com later today.

Here is what we make:

user added image

Here is the link to part 1 - the top section

https://www.screencast.com/t/YWVjODU5ZDk

Here is the link to part 2 - the bottom section

https://www.screencast.com/t/NzIxODEyY2

I don't put a lot of time into editing these and the narration is just done in a single take, so forgive me if I stutter or have occasional points of brain lock.

Please feel free to drop a comment to let me know if you find this stuff useful.

Cheers!

Can't find any other free sites that let me post a video longer then 10 minutes and too lazy to split the first part up so if I run out of bandwidth on screencast.com, it refreshes on the 3rd of the month.

Let me know if there is a free video stream hosting site that allow more then 10 minutes.

Thanks.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 18-12-2009 at 10:08 AM.